Governor Wolf Proclaims April as ‘Financial Education Month’
April 01, 2015
Harrisburg, PA – In recognition that financial education is necessary to help Pennsylvanians learn how to take control of their financial futures, Governor Tom Wolf today proclaimed April to be “Financial Education Month” in Pennsylvania.
“Financial education plays a critical role in the security and stability of all Pennsylvanians,” Wolf said. “The efforts of institutions and agencies in improving financial literacy among our citizens is important to ensure that consumers of all ages can protect and grow their hard-earned money in an increasingly complex marketplace.”
In his proclamation, Wolf praised several Pennsylvania initiatives aimed at promoting financial education and literacy:
- Many Pennsylvania banks, which will be participating in “Teach Children to Save Day” on April 24; and Pennsylvania credit unions, which will be participating in “National Credit Union Youth Month,” celebrated April 1-30;
- The PA Department of Education and Penn State University, which have partnered to offer financial education materials and training to schools;
- The PA Higher Education Assistance Agency, which provides high school students and their families resources on student debt awareness and college planning through its MySmartBorrowing.org website;
- The PA Department of Banking and Securities, through its Investor Education and Consumer Outreach program, as well as its Consumer Services office, which assist Pennsylvanians to make informed decisions on financial matters, and present educational programs on investment principles as well as ways consumers can protect their money;
- The PA Housing Finance Agency, which provides programs and services for Pennsylvania renters, homebuyers, and homeowners that enable them to strengthen their financial foundation and build a sound financial future; and
- The Pennsylvania Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy, which is working to improve financial education in kindergarten through 12th grade.
MEDIA CONTACT: Jeff Sheridan – 717.783.1116
# # #