Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Governor’s Office
Subject: State Emergency Operations Plan
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
WHEREAS, it is the responsibility of government at all levels to address the needs of the public during disaster emergencies; and
WHEREAS, the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vests supreme executive power in the Governor, and the Governor must meet the dangers to this Commonwealth and its people presented by disasters, pursuant to the Emergency Management Services Code, 35 Pa.C.S. §§ 7101—7707, as amended; and
WHEREAS, the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency is statutorily tasked with preparing, maintaining, and keeping current an emergency management plan, known as the State Emergency Operations Plan; and
WHEREAS, the State Emergency Operations Plan serves to prevent and minimize injury and damage caused by disaster emergencies; facilitate prompt and effective response to disaster, disaster emergency relief, and recovery; and allow Commonwealth departments and agencies to coordinate amongst themselves and with federal and local entities.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Thomas W. Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, hereby direct that the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency develop and manage the Pennsylvania State Emergency Operations Plan (“the Plan”). So as to prepare for any potential danger to the Commonwealth or its people, it is hereby ordered as follows:
- The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency shall maintain and take all action with regard to the Plan as is necessary to ensure the Commonwealth’s ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from disaster emergencies. Such action includes, but is not limited to, providing training and exercise opportunities, guidance, and other assistance to Commonwealth agencies tasked with emergency support functions under the Plan.
- Each Commonwealth agency shall familiarize its personnel with the Plan and applicable emergency support functions, and is responsible for fulfilling its duties under the Plan.
- Each Commonwealth agency shall prepare, maintain, and keep current comprehensive standard operating procedures for the execution of its assigned duties and emergency support functions, in accordance with guidance from the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.
- Each Commonwealth agency shall provide pertinent training to its personnel and conduct periodic exercises consistent with its obligations under the Plan.
- Each Commonwealth agency shall ensure that personnel and work rules, position descriptions, and other relevant considerations, allow that agency to provide additional support to the Commonwealth during disaster emergencies requiring such support.
- This Executive Order is effective immediately; the Plan referenced herein supersedes all previous emergency management plans in their entirety, and shall be implemented consistent with applicable law.
- Nothing in this Executive Order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect the authority granted by law to an executive department, agency, or the head thereof.
- This Executive Order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
- The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency shall carry out its responsibilities under this Executive Order in consultation with other Commonwealth departments and agencies.
- Attached File: 2015-06.pdf