June Jobs That Pay Update: Closing the Gender Pay Gap, Attacking Potholes, Expanding Workforce Opportunities
By: The Office of Governor Tom Wolf
June 15, 2018
This month, the commonwealth made strides to end the gender pay gap, improve critical infrastructure, and expand opportunities for businesses to grow and collaborate with the teachers of tomorrow’s talent.
Equal Pay and Commonsense Licensing Reform
With PA women still paid 21% less than men for equal work, Governor Wolf took action to address the gender pay gap and signed an executive order ending the practice of state agencies requiring a job applicant to provide their salary history during the hiring process.
Governor Wolf also followed through on his executive order to examine the overhaul of the professional licensing system, calling for the removal of employment barriers, a streamlined occupational license process, and more balance between education and training requirements.
Attacking Potholes and Improving Infrastructure
From rural airports to major interstate roads to future innovation centers, it’s construction season and Governor Wolf has made it a priority to improve the commonwealth’s infrastructure. This month, the governor announced more than $63 million in funding for community development and infrastructure projects, including his aggressive Resurface PA initiative, a $22.3 million program to attack potholes throughout Pennsylvania.
Business Collaboration and Expansions
This month, Governor Wolf announced more than $380,000 in apprenticeship programs and more than $2 million dollars in Teacher Workplace grants, allowing teacher to collaborate with industry leaders to provide students the education and job skills they need to succeed in a global economy. The governor also applauded AmerisourceBergen, Acutec Precision Aerospace, and Spartan Motors for announcing plans to expand their companies in Pennsylvania, creating more than 800 new jobs across the state.
Highlights from May – June 2018
- Governor Wolf Announces Nearly $1 Million in PLCB Grants for Developing, Promoting Pennsylvania Wines
- Governor Wolf Announces Spartan Motors Selects Lancaster as the Best Place to Support its Major Manufacturing Expansion Project
- Governor Wolf Announces New Approvals for Low-interest Loans to Support Family Farming Operations in Seven Counties
- Governor Wolf Announces New Funding for Nine Projects to Promote Energy Efficiency and Spur Economic Development
- Governor Wolf Announces Statewide ‘Resurface PA’ Initiative to Attack Potholes, Effects of Long Winter
- Governor Wolf Announces Support for New, No-Cost Manufacturing Training Program in North Central PA
- Governor Wolf Announces Approval of Grant to Provide Manufacturing and Employability Skills to Young Adults in Berks County
- Wolf Administration Announces Investments to Improve 14 Airports
- Governor Wolf, Senator Casey Celebrate PhilaPort, Highlighting New Crane Arrival, Job Creation, and Economic Growth
- Governor Wolf, Secretary Richards Outline Statewide ‘Resurface PA’ Initiative
- Governor Wolf Announces Funding for The York Plan 2.0 Project to Revitalize Manufacturing Sector
- Governor Wolf Announces Acutec Precision Aerospace to Invest in Meadville Through Facility Expansion, Creating 60 Jobs
- Governor Wolf Announces AmerisourceBergen Selects Pennsylvania for Expansion of National Headquarters, Adding More Than 550 New Jobs
- Governor Wolf Announces New Loan Approvals for Six Projects in Five Counties, Supporting Nearly 100 Small Business Jobs Statewide
- Governor Wolf Takes Action on Equal Pay for Women
- Wolf Administration Continues Implementation of Methane Reduction Strategy by Releasing New Natural Gas Permits to Reduce Air Pollution
- Governor Wolf, PennDOT Secretary Announce Plan to Improve Travel Between King of Prussia and Philadelphia Using New Smart Corridor Technologies
- Governor Wolf Continues Rollout of Statewide ‘Resurface PA’ Initiative to Attack Potholes
- Governor Wolf Announces Statewide Grants to Spur Development, Improve Communities
- Governor Wolf Signs New Legislation to Support Low-Cost, Clean Energy Technology in Pennsylvania
- Governor Wolf Announces Funding to Support Classroom Training in Apprenticeship Programs for Four Central Pennsylvania Companies
Highlights from Instagram
Yesterday I joined @senbobcasey, @phillymayor, and local officials to celebrate the arrival of two super post-Panamax cranes at @philaport. These 32-story structures, part of the port’s record-breaking expansion supported by state investment, will allow workers to unload more and larger ships — supporting jobs in the port as well as thousands of additional waterfront-related jobs in the region. Their presence on the Delaware River will serve as physical reminder that business is booming in Pennsylvania and that the commonwealth is ready to compete with our neighboring East Coast ports. Pennsylvania’s ports are vital to the economic success of our entire commonwealth, and I am proud to say that the continued success of the Port of Philadelphia is one of my administration’s highest priorities.
Potholes across the commonwealth are officially on notice. That’s why last week I was in Pittsburgh to help fill in a pothole on the South Side and announce that we’re using as many resources as possible to fix potholes across the commonwealth. My #ResurfacePA initiative is allowing us to reach high-need roadways that otherwise would not be addressed this year. To report a pothole, call 1-800-FIX-ROAD or click the link in my bio.