Executive Order: 2015-08 – Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino Affairs
August 04, 2015
Subject: Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino Affairs
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
Date: August 04, 2015
WHEREAS, Latinos in Pennsylvania make unique, diverse and valuable contributions to the culture, society and economy of Pennsylvania, which have a beneficial impact on life in the Commonwealth; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth is committed to providing equality and opportunity for all Pennsylvanians, including increased access for Latinos to civic, economic and educational opportunities in Pennsylvania; and
WHEREAS, it will benefit the Commonwealth to define and address the unique contributions, needs and concerns of the Latino community, in order to improve the lives of all Pennsylvanians.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Thomas Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other laws, do hereby reestablish the Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino Affairs (hereinafter referred to as “Commission”) as the Commonwealth’s advocate agency for Latinos as herein set forth.
- Functions.a. Advise the Governor on policies, procedures, legislation and regulations that affect the Latino community;
b. Develop, review and recommend to the Governor policies in the areas of health and human services, housing, education, employment, business formation and other relevant areas, which affect the Latino community;
c. Provide appropriate assistance and advice to state agencies, including the Pennsylvania Minority Business Development Authority, and work with the Bureau of Workforce Planning, Development, and Equal Employment Opportunity, within the Office of Human Resources and Management, in the Governor’s Office of Administration, to strengthen the enforcement of the Commonwealth’s anti-discriminatory hiring, retention and promotion policies;
d. Serve as a liaison to federal, state and local agencies to ensure that programs impacting the Latino community are effectively utilized and promoted;
e. Serve as a resource for community groups and provide forums for developing strategies and programs that will expand and enhance the civic, social, educational, cultural and economic status of the Latino community.
f. Identify programs, scholarships, mentoring programs, sources of funding or other resources for the benefit and advancement of Latinos; and
g. Promote the cultural arts of the Latino community throughout the Commonwealth.
- Composition of the Commission.a. The Commission shall consist of no more than thirty members, appointed by the Governor, who are representatives of the Commonwealth’s Latino community or others who have an interest in the success of the Latino community and provide value to the work of the Commission;
b. The Governor shall designate one Commission member or the Executive Director of the Commission to serve as chairperson. Also, the Governor may designate up to three Commission members or the Executive Director of the Commission to serve as vice-chairpersons of the Commission. The chairperson and vice-chairpersons shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor; and
c. The Governor shall appoint an Executive Director of the Commission, who will serve at the pleasure of the Governor and who may be a member of the commission.
- Terms of Membership.a. Members shall be appointed for terms of two years and continue to serve until their respective successors are appointed. A member may be reappointed for one or more additional terms. All members shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor;
b. Should a vacancy occur on the Commission, the Governor shall appoint a successor; and the successor shall fulfill the remainder of the term. A successor so appointed may thereafter be reappointed for one or more additional terms; and
c. A member who is absent from two consecutive meetings of the Commission, without excuse, shall forfeit membership on the Commission.
- Compensation. Members of the Commission shall receive no compensation for their service except that members may be reimbursed for travel in accordance with Commonwealth policy.
- Relationship with Other Agencies. All agencies under the Governor’s jurisdiction shall cooperate with and provide assistance and support as needed by the Commission to carry out its functions effectively. Independent agencies, state-affiliated entities and state-related institutions are also strongly encouraged to work with the Commission to support its mission.
- Reports. The Commission may submit reports to the Governor or the Governor’s designee, as it deems necessary, on issues affecting Latinos in the Commonwealth.
- Procedures.a. The Commission is authorized to establish subcommittees, and rules and procedures for the effective implementation of its functions, consistent with this order, which subcommittees may include advisory non-members, if approved by the Commission chairperson; and
b. A majority of the Commissioners serving at any time shall constitute a quorum.
- Effective Date. This order shall take effect immediately and shall continue in effect unless revised or rescinded by the Governor.
- Rescission. Executive Order 2012-10 is hereby rescinded.
Attached File: 2015-08.pdf.