Executive Order: 2015-09 – Pennsylvania Commission for Women
August 04, 2015
Subject: Pennsylvania Commission for Women
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
Date: August 04, 2015
WHEREAS, women in Pennsylvania make unique, diverse and valuable contributions to the culture, society and economy of Pennsylvania, which have a beneficial impact on the commonwealth; and
WHEREAS, the commonwealth is committed to providing equality and opportunity for all Pennsylvanians and increasing access for women to civic, economic and educational opportunities; and
WHEREAS, it will benefit the commonwealth to define and address the unique contributions, needs and concerns of women, in order to improve the lives of all Pennsylvanians.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Thomas Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other laws, do hereby reestablish the Pennsylvania Commission for Women (hereinafter referred to as “Commission”) as the commonwealth’s advocate agency for women as herein set forth.
- Functions.a. Advise the Governor on policies, procedures, legislation and regulations that affect women;
b. Support economic and civic opportunities for women;
c. Support mentoring programs for girls and young women;
d. Serve as a resource for community groups developing strategies and programs that will expand and enhance the civic, social, educational, cultural and economic status of women; and
e. Identify programs and opportunities for the benefit and advancement of women.
- Composition of the Commission.a. The Commission shall consist of no more than 30 members appointed by the Governor, who represent a diverse population, have an interest in the success of women in the commonwealth and provide value to the work of the Commission. The Governor shall request that the Majority and Minority leaders of both chambers of the General Assembly, on behalf of their respective caucuses, each provide a list to the Governor of three candidates. The Governor shall appoint one of the three candidates to the Commission from each list. The recommendations from the leaders of the General Assembly shall be sent to the Governor within 30 days of the Governor’s request;
b. The Governor shall designate one Commission member or the Executive Director of the Commission to serve as chairperson. Also, the Governor may designate one or more Commission member(s) to serve in leadership positions as needed. Commission leadership shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor; and
c. The Governor shall appoint an Executive Director of the Commission, who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor and who may be a member of the Commission.
- Terms of Membership.a. Members shall be appointed for terms of two years and serve until their respective successors are appointed. A member may be reappointed for one or more additional terms. All members shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor;
b. Should a vacancy occur on the Commission, the Governor shall appoint a successor; and the successor shall fulfill the remainder of the term. A successor so appointed may thereafter be reappointed for one or more additional terms; and
c. A member who is absent from two consecutive meetings of the Commission, without excuse, shall forfeit membership on the Commission.
- Compensation. Members of the Commission shall receive no compensation for their service, except that members may be reimbursed for travel in accordance with commonwealth policy.
- Relationship with Other Agencies. All agencies under the Governor’s jurisdiction shall cooperate with and provide assistance and support as needed by the Commission to carry out its functions effectively. Independent agencies, state-affiliated entities and state-related institutions are also strongly encouraged to work with the Commission to support its mission.
- Reports. The Commission shall submit reports to the Governor or the Governor’s designee, as it deems necessary, on issues affecting women in the commonwealth.
- Procedures.a. The Commission is authorized to establish subcommittees, rules and procedures for the effective implementation of its functions, consistent with this order. Subcommittees may include advisory non-members, if approved by the Commission’s chairperson; and
b. A majority of the Commissioners serving at any time shall constitute a quorum.
- Effective Date. This order shall be effective immediately and shall continue in effect unless revised or rescinded by the Governor.
- Rescission. Executive Order 2012-06 is hereby rescinded.
Attached File: 2015-09.pdf.