Executive Order: 2015-12 – Coordination of Food and Nutrition Programs; Appointment of the Advisor to the Governor on Food and Nutrition Programs and the Governor’s Food Security Partnership
September 29, 2015
Subject: Coordination of Food and Nutrition Programs; Appointment of the Advisor to the Governor on Food and Nutrition Programs and the Governor’s Food Security Partnership
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
Date: September 29, 2015
WHEREAS, hunger and inadequate nutrition remain serious problems in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, with too many of our citizens unable to access food for themselves or their families; and
WHEREAS, infant mortality, health problems associated with aging, the ability of children to learn in school, and the job readiness of workers are directly related to proper nutrition; and
WHEREAS, proper nutrition plays a significant role in reducing infant mortality, with programs such as the Special Supplement Food Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) having a demonstrated effect on reducing the incidence of low birth weight, the primary cause ofinfant deaths; and
WHEREAS, studies have shown that 15.9 percent of Pennsylvania households experienced low or very low food security from 2012 through 2014; and
WHEREAS, Pennsylvania administers state and federal funds for food programs serving the elderly, families, pregnant women, infants and children, and other individuals in need; and
WHEREAS, through the coordination of the substantial and varied resources available to the public sector in conjunction with creative efforts in the private sector, Pennsylvania will ensure access to needed food and improve the nutrition of all Pennsylvanians.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Tom Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other laws, do hereby direct that all food and nutrition programs funded and administered by the Commonwealth be fully coordinated to assure that such programs achieve maximum effectiveness. To achieve such coordination, I do hereby direct the following:
- Advisor to the Governor on Food and Nutrition Programs. I hereby appoint an Advisor to the Governor on Food and Nutrition Programs (hereinafter referred to as the “Advisor”) to coordinate all food and nutrition programs and the “Governor’s Food Security Partnership” (hereinafter defined). The Advisor shall:a. Coordinate interdepartmental efforts designated to reduce hunger and improve nutrition among Pennsylvanians.b. Review and evaluate the operations and policies of all state and federal food and nutrition programs administered by the Commonwealth.
c. Organize private and public sector efforts to improve the Commonwealth’s response to the food and nutrition needs of its citizens.
d. Work with state and federal officials, as well as with state and local food and nutrition providers, advocates and consumers to increase the effectiveness and accessibility of federal and state food and nutrition programs to reduce hunger and improve the nutrition of Pennsylvanians.
e. Convene meetings and oversee the activities of the Governor’s Food Security Partnership.
f. Present the findings and recommendations of the Governor’s Food Security Partnership to the Governor, the agencies of the Commonwealth, and the Legislature.
- Governor’s Food Security Partnership. There is hereby established a Governor’s Food Security Partnership to work with the Advisor to develop and implement strategies to improve the nutrition of Pennsylvanians. The Governor’s Food Security Partnership will be chaired by the Advisor and will be comprised of the Cabinet Secretaries of the Departments of Aging, Agriculture, Community and Economic Development, Education, Health, and Human Services.
- Purpose of the Governor’s Food Security Partnership. Governor’s Food Security Partnership is established to:a. Work cooperatively towards alleviating hunger and related conditions of poverty in the Commonwealth.b. Develop and implement plans and strategies which will improve the nutritional status of Pennsylvanians.
- Duties and Responsibilities of the Governor’s Food Security Partnership. The duties and responsibilities of the Governor’s Food Security Partnership are to:a. Promote coordination, communication, and joint planning between government programs and entities in the private sector in providing nutrition and food assistance to Pennsylvanians.b. Provide a forum for new and innovative efforts directed toward reducing hunger and improving the nutrition of all Pennsylvanians. Such efforts may include developing new public or private sector initiatives.
c. Work cooperatively on efforts to reach those who are at the highest risk of suffering from hunger, and to expand food and nutrition delivery systems to create better access to food and nutrition services for those in need.
d. Identify gaps in food and nutrition delivery systems through statistical and program analyses, surveys, studies, and public hearings.
e. Develop, improve, and expand education programs dealing with food and nutrition in Pennsylvania.
f. Develop and implement strategies to expand the use of Pennsylvania agricultural products in public and private food and nutrition delivery systems.
- Effective Date. This Executive Order shall take effect immediately.
- Termination Date. This order shall remain in full force and effect until the Governor’s Food Security Partnership goes out of existence or this order is rescinded by another Executive Order.
- Rescission. Executive Order 1988-4, dated April 7, 1988 and Revision No. 1, dated December 27, 1990 are hereby rescinded.
Attached file: 2015-12.pdf.