Executive Order: 2016-07 – Open Data, Data Development, and Data Governance
April 18, 2016
Subject: Open Data, Data Development, and Data Governance
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
Date: April 18, 2016
WHEREAS, Commonwealth agencies under the Governor’s jurisdiction (the “Enterprise”) obtain, create, and store significant amounts of data; and
WHEREAS, these public stores of data have many potential public and private uses, including use as “open data” (i.e. publicly available data structured in a way that enables the data to be fully available and usable by end users); and
WHEREAS, data development and investment efforts should be prioritized and coordinated across the Enterprise to maximize efficiency and cost effectiveness, enhance information sharing and technology compatibility through standardization, and reduce expenditures for research and development; and
WHEREAS, private enterprises obtaining, creating and storing data have similar needs for efficiency and standardization, and can both benefit from and assist in these efforts; and
WHEREAS, it is essential that the Commonwealth utilize a central organization to govern, evaluate, coordinate, and improve Enterprise data development, open data planning and cooperation, research, project prioritization, investment, and effectiveness; and
WHEREAS, The Administrative Code of 1929 (Act 1929-175, P.L. 177, as amended), at Sections 501 and 502 (71 P.S. §§ 181, 182), requires administrative departments and several independent and departmental administrative boards to coordinate their work and activities with other departments, boards, and commissions; and
WHEREAS, the confidentiality, security and privacy requirements associated with Commonwealth data and facilities must remain a priority in all open data, data governance and data development efforts;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Tom Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other laws, do hereby order and direct the Governor’s Office of Administration (OA) as follows:
- Powers and Duties.
- OA shall develop data priorities, strategic plans, direct data investments, procurements, and policy for the Enterprise. The Enterprise shall comply with direction from OA regarding the matters which are the subject of this Executive Order. OA shall make decisions on behalf of the Enterprise regarding operational matters related to open data, data governance, data development, data analytics, data sharing, and other responsibilities within the scope of this Executive Order.
- OA shall develop and facilitate the approach of the Enterprise to engagement with private and other public stakeholders on the matters which are the subject of this Executive Order.
- OA shall be responsible for the following:
- Facilitating and chairing an advisory committee (which should include, among others, agency Chief Information Officers, Information Security Officers, and attorneys with expertise in data privacy requirements) to advise OA, Office for Information Technology (OIT) regarding overall data governance.
- Establishing Enterprise IT data management and development policies frameworks that include: policies, processes, and standards that adhere to commonly-accepted principles for, among other things, data governance, data development, and the quality, sourcing, use, accessibility, content, ownership and licensing of open data.
- Creating and maintaining a comprehensive Enterprise Open Data Portal for Enterprise and public accessibility.
- Providing guidance to the Enterprise regarding the procurement of supplies and services related to the subject matter of this Executive Order.
- Facilitating communication with the public both by publishing Enterprise open data plans and policies, and by soliciting and/or allowing for public input on the subject matter of this Executive Order.
- Ensuring the internal examination of Commonwealth data sets for business, confidentiality, privacy and security issues, and the reasonable mitigation of those issues, prior to the data’s release for open data purposes.
- Developing and facilitating the approach of the Enterprise to engagement with private and other public stakeholders, including; but not limited to, arranging for and expediting data-sharing agreements, and encouraging and facilitating cooperation and substantive and administrative efficiencies.
- Developing and facilitating the approach of the Enterprise to data sharing and data analytics, both internal and external to the Enterprise.
- Executive Agencies. All agencies under the Governor’s jurisdiction shall provide assistance to and cooperate with OA as requested by OA in the pursuit of the matters which are the subject of this Executive Order.
- Independent Agencies, State-Affiliated Entities, and State-Related Entities. Independent agencies, state-affiliated entities, and state-related agencies are strongly encouraged to implement this Executive Order.
- Effective Date. This Executive Order, shall take effect immediately.
- Termination Date. This Executive Order shall remain in effect unless revised or rescinded by the Governor.
Attached file: 2016-07.pdf