Executive Order: 2018-06 – Pennsylvania Commission on LGBTQ Affairs
August 06, 2018
Subject: Pennsylvania Commission on LGBTQ Affairs
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
Date: August 6, 2018
WHEREAS, Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning (“LGBTQ”) Pennsylvanians make unique, diverse and valuable contributions to the culture, society and economy of Pennsylvania, which have a beneficial impact on life in the Commonwealth and beyond; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth is committed to providing equality and opportunity for all its citizens and increasing access for LGBTQ persons to civic, economic, and educational opportunities in Pennsylvania; and
WHEREAS, we acknowledge the myriad contributions of LGBTQ Pennsylvanians, while also recognizing challenges still faced by many LGBTQ Pennsylvanians; and
WHEREAS, it will benefit the Commonwealth to define and address the unique contributions, needs and concerns of LGBTQ persons and communities, in order to improve the lives of all Pennsylvanians.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Tom Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and other laws, do hereby establish, in the Office of the Governor, the Pennsylvania Commission on LGBTQ Affairs (hereinafter referred to as the “Commission”) as the Commonwealth’s advocate agency for its LGBTQ citizens as hereinafter set forth.
- Advise the Governor on policies, procedures, legislation and regulations that impact LGBTQ individuals and communities;
- Develop, review and recommend to the Governor policies in the areas of health and human services, housing, education, employment, business formation and other relevant areas which impact LGBTQ individuals and communities;
- Provide appropriate assistance and advice to the Departments of General Services and Community and Economic Development, and work with the Bureau of Workforce Planning, Development, and Equal Employment Opportunity, within the Office of Human Resources and Management, in the Governor’s Office of Administration, to strengthen the enforcement of the Commonwealth’s antidiscriminatory hiring, retention and promotion policies;
- Serve as a liaison to federal, state and local agencies to ensure that programs affecting LGBTQ individuals and communities are effectively utilized and promoted;
- Serve as a resource for community groups and provide forums for developing strategies and programs that will expand and enhance the civic, social, educational, cultural and economic status of LGBTQ individuals and communities;
- Identify programs, scholarships, mentoring programs, sources of funding or other resources for the benefit and advancement of LGBTQ individuals and communities; and
- Promote the cultural arts of LGBTQ communities throughout the Commonwealth.
- Communicate activities and initiatives of state government that impact or otherwise may affect LGBTQ communities in the Commonwealth.
- Composition of the Commission.
- The Commission shall consist of no more than forty (40) members, to be appointed by the Governor, who are representatives of the Commonwealth’s LGBTQ communities or others who have an interest in the success of the LGBTQ communities and provide value to the work of the Commission;
- The Governor shall designate one Commission member to serve as chairperson. The Governor shall designate one Commission member to serve as first vicechairperson and another Commission member to serve as second vicechairperson. The chairperson and all vice-chairpersons shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor; and
- The Governor shall appoint an Executive Director of the Commission, who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The Executive Director will report to the Secretary of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs.
- Terms of Membership.
- Members shall be appointed for terms of two years and serve until their respective successors are appointed. A member may be reappointed for one or more additional terms. All members shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor and adhere to policy setting forth Commissioner responsibilities and expectations as may be promulgated from time to time by the Executive Director and Commission chairperson;
- Should a vacancy occur on the Commission, the Governor shall appoint a successor; and the successor shall be appointed to fulfill the remainder of the term. A successor so appointed may thereafter be reappointed for one or more additional terms; and
- A member who is absent from two consecutive meetings of the Commission, without sufficient excuse, shall forfeit membership on the Commission.
- Compensation. Members of the Commission shall receive no compensation for their service, except that members may be reimbursed for travel expenses in accordance with Commonwealth policy.
- Relationship with Other Agencies. All agencies under the Governor’s jurisdiction shall cooperate with and provide assistance and support as needed by the Commission to carry out its functions effectively. Independent agencies, state-affiliated entities and state-related institutions also are strongly encouraged to work with the Commission to support its mission.
- Reports. The Commission shall submit an annual report to the Governor or the Governor’s designee and the Secretary of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs, and other reports as it deems necessary, on issues affecting LGBTQ communities in the Commonwealth.
- The Commission is authorized to establish subcommittees, rules and procedures for the effective implementation of its functions, consistent with this order, which subcommittees may include advisory non-members, if approved by the Commission chairperson and Executive Director; and
- State Government Subcommittee. The Commission will establish a State Government Subcommittee for the purpose of supporting the mission of the Commission in Commonwealth agencies. This Subcommittee will be chaired by the Executive Director and, as appropriate, co-chaired by a member of the Governor’s Cabinet and will work with the Secretary of Intergovernmental Affairs to support the mission of the Commission and accomplish the work of the Commission in the executive agencies. The State Government Subcommittee will be comprised of members of the Governor’s Cabinet or their respective designees, and other individuals deemed necessary to accomplish the work of the Subcommittee.
- A majority of the Commissioners serving at any time shall constitute a quorum.
- Effective Date. This order shall take effect immediately and shall continue in effect unless revised or modified by the Governor.