Executive Order – 2019-03 – Pennsylvania State Employee Military Service Recognition Campaign
June 14, 2019
Subject: Pennsylvania State Employee Military Service Recognition Campaign
By Direction of: Tom Wolf, Governor
Date: June 14, 2019
WHEREAS, Commonwealth employees who serve or have served in the Armed
Forces of the United States, the Reserves and National Guard, have
demonstrated extraordinary selflessness and made personal sacrifices
for this Commonwealth and the nation; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is committed to providing
assistance to those who serve or have served by identifying and
providing information and assistance about federal or state benefits that
these individuals may have earned; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth is also committed to providing its employees who
serve or have served with opportunities for collaboration, esprit de
corps, and support; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth is committed to recognizing those Commonwealth
employees who serve or have served and believes that this recognition
will encourage patriotism, spark the call to
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Tom Wolf, Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by
virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania and other laws, do formally establish the Pennsylvania State Employee
Military Service Recognition Campaign, and do order and direct as follows:
- Purpose. The purpose of the Pennsylvania State Employee Military Service
Recognition Campaign (Campaign) is to annually recognize and thank
Commonwealth employees who serve or have served in the Armed Forces of
the United States, the Reserves, and National Guard, by providing them with a
lapel pin to honor their service. Eligible employees will not be recognized with
a lapel pin as part of this Campaign more than once during their time of
employment with the Commonwealth.
- Eligibility. Current Commonwealth employees who serve or have served in
the Armed Forces of the United States: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force,
and Coast Guard; the Reserves, and National Guard (Eligible Employees).
- The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) will:
- Coordinate the Campaign and provide support to Commonwealth agencies in the administration of the Campaign. The DMVA will also procure the lapel pins for the Campaign.
- Establish a Veterans in Public Service Committee (VIPS) consisting of Eligible Employees to align under the Governor’s Advisory Council on Veterans Services (GAC-VS), established pursuant to Executive Order 2013-03, Governor’s Advisory Council on Veterans Services.
- Provide benefits information and assistance with benefits applications to Eligible Employees.
- The Office of Administration (OA) will establish and maintain a database of Eligible Employees, assist Commonwealth agencies in conducting an annual review of the database, keep a record of those employees who have received lapel pins or who have opted out of the Campaign, and assist the DMVA with the facilitation of the VIPS Committee.
- Commonwealth agencies:
- On an annual basis, will identify Eligible Employees within their agencies who may qualify for the lapel pin and, where appropriate, hold recognition ceremonies.
- Will refer Eligible Employees to the DMVA for assistance with benefit questions and applications.
- Will coordinate with the DMVA to provide veterans outreach activities within the Commonwealth Agency.
- Will acquire Campaign pins from the DMVA. Commonwealth agencies are responsible for paying the DMVA for the Campaign pins.
- May identify a veteran representative to serve on the VIPS committee, under the GAC-VS, and to coordinate recognition ceremonies.
- General Provisions. This Executive Order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law. This Executive Order is not intended to, and does not create, any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
- Effective Date. This Executive Order shall take effect immediately.
- Termination Date. This Executive Order shall remain in effect unless revised or rescinded by the Governor.