Governor Wolf Thanks Emergency Personnel, Provides Update on Flash Flooding, Road Closures
August 14, 2018
Harrisburg, PA – As several counties in Pennsylvania continue to address the effects of heavy rains this week, Governor Tom Wolf thanked emergency personnel and first responders for serving their community. Severe rain storms that moved across Pennsylvania on Sunday and Monday caused multiple flash floods, evacuations, water rescues and road closures.
“Our state and local emergency responders are continuing to coordinate to help those impacted by flash flooding from this latest round of storms,” said Governor Wolf. “On behalf of all Pennsylvanians, I thank them for their dedication to serving their communities and our state as we deal with the effects of severe rain.”
At Governor Wolf’s request, representatives of his administration, including PEMA Director Rick Flinn and officials from PennDOT, will personally visit areas affected by recent flooding. The Commonwealth Response Coordination Center (CRCC) at PEMA was demobilized Monday evening after being activated earlier in the day. The emergency operations centers in Columbia, Lackawanna and Wyoming counties remained activated. Most temporary emergency shelters are now closed.
PennDOT advised motorists that numerous roads and bridges are impacted due to flooding.
The following roads are closed in north central Pennsylvania as of 10:00 a.m.:
• Route 6 between Route 14 in Troy Township and Saco Road in North Towanda Township.
• Route 187 between Coyle Road in Wilmot Township and Wyalusing/New Albany Road in Terry Township.
• (New) Route 187 between Route 6 in Wysox Township and Wyalusing/New Albany Road in Terry Township.
• Route 220 between Harney Road in Albany township and Route 414 West.
• Route 2010 (Wyalusing/New Albany Road) between Route 220 in New Albany and Rienze Road in Terry Township.
• (New) Route 2024 (Liberty Corners Road) between Route 2027 and Kingsley Hill Road in Towanda Township.
• Route 409 between Route 6 and the end of Route 409 at Camptown in Wyalusing Township.
• (New) Route 1049 (Leraysville Road) between Route 187 in Windham Township and Gulf Road in Warren Township.
• Route 4011 (Rolling Hills Road/Church Street) between Berwick Turnpike Road and Main Street in Smithfield Township.
• (Open) Route 4013 Berwick Turnpike Road between Bucks Creek Road and Centerville Road in Ridgebury Township.
• Route 4017 (Leona Road) between Route 6 in Troy Township and Kingsley Road in Springfield Township.
• Route 339 between Dog Town Road and Shadow Mountain Lane in Beaver Township.
• Route 487 between the two intersection of Route 239 in Benton Township and Benton Borough.
• Route 1020 (Winding Road) between Route 487 and Ridge Road in Fishing Creek Township.
• Route 1022 (Zaners Bridge Road) between Route 254 in Greenwood Township and the Luzerne County line in Fishing Creek Township.
• Route 4004 (Ridge Road/Quarry Road) between Interchange Road in Hemlock Township and Route 11 in Montour Township.
• Route 4008 (Back Branch Road) between Millerton Road and Whites Church Road in Mt. Pleasant Township.
• Route 4009 (Millville Road) between Route 42 in Hemlock Township and Route 11 in the Town of Bloomsburg.
• (Open) Route 4016 (Black Run Road) between Route 42 and Route 44 in Madison Township.
• Route 4019 (Derrs Road) between Route 44 and Nichols Road in Madison Township.
• Route 4025 (Ants Hill Road) between the Montour County line and Liuzza Road in Madison Township.
• (New) Route 4026 (Perry Avenue) in Montour and Hemlock townships.
• Route 4049 (Central Road/Elk Grove Road) between Route 118 and the Sullivan County line in Sugarloaf Township.
• Route 42 between Route 118 in Jordan Township and Route 220 in Davidson Township, Sullivan County.
• Route 405 between Main Street and Chestnut Street in Muncy Borough.
• Route 1005 (Lower Barbours Road) between Route 87 and Dunwoody Road in Plunketts Creek Township.
• Route 2009 (Muncy Exchange Road) between Clarkstown Road and Fogelman Road in Muncy Creek Township.
• Route 2014 (John Brady Drive) between the intersection of East Lime Bluff and Industrial Park Road in Muncy Creek Township and Route 405 in Muncy Borough.
• Route 2044 (Penn Street) between Williams Street in Muncy Creek Township and South Main Street in Muncy Borough.
• Route 2055 (Chippewa Road) between Route 405 in Muncy Creek Township and Beacon Light Road in Muncy Township.
• (New) Route 2067 (Wallis Road) between Route 442 in and Dairy Farm Road in Moreland Township.
• Route 44 between Sportsmans Road and Gearhart Road in Anthony Township.
• Route 54 between Shed Road in Derry Township and Front Street in Washingtonville.
• Route 54 between Route 44 in Limestone Township and Valley Road in Valley Township.
• (New) Route 254 between Route 54 and PP and L Road in Derry Township.
• Route 1003 (PP and L Road) between Strawberry Ridge Road in Derry Township and Betz Road in Anthony Township.
• Route 1003 (PP and L Road/Muncy Exchange Road) between Route 44 and County Line Road in Anthony Township.
• Route 1004 (Arrowhead Road) between Route 54 and PP and L Road in Anthony Township.
• (Open) Route 1009 (Greenleaf Road) between Strawberry Ridge Road and Stamm Road in Derry Township.
• Route 1011 (Fox Hollow Road) between Route 44 and the Lycoming County line in Anthony Township.
• Route 3003 (Narehood Road) between Steckermill Road and Mexico Road in Liberty Township.
• Route 3010 (Steckermill Road) between Route 54 in Derry Township and Narehood Road in Liberty Township.
• Route 3010 (Steckermill Road) between Route 54 in Derry Township and Narehood Road in Liberty Township.
• Route 1025 (Shakespeare Road/Shakespeare Avenue) between Route 45 and Hobbes Road in East Chillisquaque Township.
• Route 87 between Route 154 in Forksville and Route 220 in Cherry Township.
• Route 2002 (Main Street) between Route 220 in Davidson Township and Nordmont Road in Laporte Township.
• Route 3005 (Ogdonia Road) between the Lycoming County line in Shrewsbury Township and Route 87 in Hillsgrove Township.
• Route 4001 (Elk Creek Road) between Route 87 in Hillsgrove Township and Route 154 in Elkland Township.
• Route 4009 between Campbellville Road and Millview Mountain Road in Elkland Township.
• Route 4014 (Estella Spur) between Route 154 in Elkland Township and Millview Mountain Road in Forks Township.
• Route 4016 (Campbellville Road) between Route 4009 in Elkland Township and Warburton Hill Road in Forks Township.
• Route 4018 (Dushore Overton Road/Main Street) between Kelly Hill Road in Forks Township and Churchill Street in Dushore Borough.
The following roads are closed in east central Pennsylvania as of 8:30 a.m.:
• PA 625 between Philadelphia and Mt. View roads in Cumru Township.
• Leesport Avenue between Snyder Road and Huller Lane in Ontelaunee Township.
• Haasadahl Road between Becker Street and Hickory Lane in Upper Macungie Township.
• Vera Cruz Road between Limeport Pike and Pam Road in Lower Milford Township.
• Limeport Pike between Bell Gate Road and Chestnut Hill Church Road in Lower Milford Township.
• Indian Creek Road between Macungie Road in Lower Macungie Township and Cedar Crest Boulevard in Upper Milford Township.
• Spring Creek Road between Trexlertown and Mill Creek roads in Lower Macungie Township.
• (New) East Texas Road between John Fries Drive and Willow Spur Road in Lower Macungie Road.
• Cetronia Road Between Grange Road and Trexlertown Road in Upper Macungie Township.
• Locust Ridge Road between Cherry Blossom Lane and Lackawanna County Line in Coolbaugh Township.
• Raubsville Road between Hexenkoph and Morgan Hill roads in Williams Township;
• Durham Road between Coffeetown and Raubsville roads in Williams Township;
• Lehigh Drive between South 25th Street and Adamson Street in the City of Easton.
• Fountain Road between PA 125 in Frailey Township and PA 25 Hegins Township (closed since previous storm);
• Helfenstein Road between Hunter Road in Eldred Township and High Road in Butler Township (closed since previous storm);
• PA 125 between Scenic and Creek roads in Eldred Township (closed since previous storm);
• Dutchtown Road between Barry and Tiley roads in Eldred Township;
• US 209 between Coal and Wood streets in Port Carbon Borough;
• Market Street between US 209 in Port Carbon Borough and 7th Street in East Norwegian Township;
• Pottsville Street between East Norwegian Street in Mechanicsville Borough and Market Street in Port Carbon Borough;
• Main Street between PA 924 and Borough Line in Gilberton Borough;
• PA 924 between Eagle Rock Lodge in East Union Township and Chestnut Hill Drive in Hazel Township, Luzerne County;
• PA 61 North at Schuylkill Mall Road in Blythe Township is lane restricted;
• Main Street between Canal Street and Gaydos Lane in Landingville Borough.
The following roads are closed in southeast Pennsylvania as of 9:00 a.m.:
• Limeport Road between Allentown Road and the Lehigh County line
• Darby Paoli Road between Roberts Road and Goshen Road in Radnor Township, Delaware County
• Route 320 (South Gulph Road) between Upper Gulph Road/Old Gulph Road and Arden Road in Upper Merion Township
Roads that have reopened in southeastern Pennsylvania:
• Route 113 in both directions between the intersection with Souderton Square and Mall Road and Bethlehem Pike in Hilltown Township; and
• Limeport Road between Allentown Road and the Lehigh County line.
• Lower Pine Creek Road between Route 401 (Conestoga Road) and Yellow Springs Road in West Pikeland Township;
• Wagontown Road/Cedar Knoll Road/Reeceville Road/Caln Road between Hibernia Road and Wagontown-Martins Road in West Brandywine Township;
• Clover Mill Road/Pikeland Road between Kimberton Road and Merlin Road in Charlestown Township;
• Route 345 (Bulltown Road) at Route 23 (Ridge Road) in East Nantmeal Township;
• Route 724 (Schuylkill Road) between Scholl Road and Catfish Lane in North Coventry Township;
• Pottstown Pike/Chadds Ford Road/Creek Road/High Street between Street Road and Creek Road in Birmingham Township; and
• Swan Road/Upper Valley Road/Main Street between Green Street and Swan Road in Atglen Borough.
• Crum Creek Road between Farnum Road and State Road in Upper Providence Township;
• Eagle Road/Glendale Road between Warrior Road and Burmont Road in Haverford Township; and
• Lansdowne Avenue/Darby Road/Main Street between U.S. 13 (Chester Pike), MacDade Boulevard and 11th Street in Darby Township.
• Conshohocken Road/Fairfield Road/Elm Street at Diamond Avenue in Plymouth Township;
• Croton Road/Radnor Road between the Chester County line and Gulph Road in Upper Merion Township;
• Water Street Road/Mill Road between Grange Avenue and Skippack Creek Road in Skippack Township;
• Henderson Road/Beidler Road/Abrams Road at Beidler Road in Upper Merion Township;
• Trinity Lane between Holstein Road and Swedeland Road in Upper Merion Township; and
• Butler Pike/Matsonford Road/Fayette Street between Hillside Avenue and the Interstate 476 Interchange in Lower Merion Township.
Motorists should be alert and watch for standing water on roadways throughout the area. They should never attempt to drive through flooded roadways.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 860 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
The risk of flash flooding continues today with additional rainfall, which may be heavy at times, still possible. A break in the rain comes Wednesday into part of Thursday, but more unsettled weather possible later Thursday through early Saturday.