Weekly Update: Announcing Reduction in PSSA Testing, Encouraging Stability for Insurance Premiums, Standing United Against Hate, Touting Economic Growth in Pennsylvania
By: The Office of Governor Tom Wolf
August 18, 2017
Governor Wolf kicked off this week in Harrisburg with a joint announcement with the Department of Education regarding a reduction in testing time for the PSSA standardized tests. To address the concerns of students, parents, and educators, the Department of Education worked with stakeholders to reduce the length of the tests by 20 percent. On Thursday, the governor traveled to Pittsburgh to tout and discuss the benefits of the reductions with parents and educators.
On Wednesday, Governor Wolf sent a letter to the PA Congressional Delegation regarding the Congressional Budget Office’s analysis of the potential impact of terminating payments for cost-sharing reductions. The governor urged Congress and President Trump to continue payment of cost-sharing reductions for the remainder or 2017 and all of 2018 to ensure that insurance premiums in Pennsylvania, and across the country, remain stable.
After the weekend events in Charlottesville, Governor Wolf condemned the hatred and bigotry of white supremacists. “The white supremacy rally in Charlottesville does not reflect the values we hold as Pennsylvanians or as Americans,” Governor Wolf said. “We must speak out strongly for true American values of justice, fairness, and compassion and lead with our actions to reject the groups that gathered in Charlottesville.”
On Thursday, Governor Wolf attended Ag Progress Days where he highlighted the importance of building Pennsylvania’s agriculture industry and rural communities. Continuing economic growth in Pennsylvania communities is a priority for Governor Wolf and, also on Thursday, the governor announced completed financing by the Commonwealth Cornerstone Group to combat blight and help revitalization efforts in downtown Lancaster. On Friday, the governor also announced new jobs coming to Elk County with the expansion of Clarion Sintered Metals.
Governor Wolf’s Week, August 13, 2017 – August 19, 2017
- Governor Wolf Announces PSSA Testing Reduction to Benefit Students, Teachers, and Parents
- 511PA Website Feature to Assist Travelers to Little League World Series
- Governor Wolf, Advisory Commission Stand United Against Hate
- Wolf Administration to Use 21st Century Cures Grant Funding to Further Expand Access to Medication-Assisted Treatment
- Governor Wolf Writes PA Delegation Regarding CBO Analysis of Ceasing Payments for Cost -Sharing Reductions
- Governor Wolf Touts Work to Build Vibrant Agriculture Industry, Rural Communities in PA during Visit to Ag Progress Days
- Governor Wolf Tours Standardized Test Reduction Benefiting Students, Parents, and Teachers
- VIDEO: Governor Wolf Welcomes Little League Players, Families to Pennsylvania
- Governor Wolf, PennDOT Announce Completion of State’s First Diverging Diamond Interchange
- Governor Wolf Announces Tax Credits for Rehab and Reuse of Lancaster’s Vacant Bulova Technologies Building
Highlights from The Blog
Highlights from Twitter
— Governor Tom Wolf (@GovernorTomWolf) August 17, 2017
By shortening the PSSA’s, we’re ensuring that our kids can focus more on learning in the classroom and less on preparing for one exam. https://t.co/SeFZrzgk6b
— Governor Tom Wolf (@GovernorTomWolf) August 15, 2017
Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf