Wolf Administration Assists Veterans in Need of Important Military Paperwork

July 17, 2017

Harrisburg, PA – Leaving the military can be a hectic and stressful time. Through all the commotion, veterans often forget how important it is to properly record and safeguard their most important military paperwork – the DD-214. That is where the Wolf Administration’s Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) can help.

The DD-214 is issued upon a military service member’s retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States. It contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans’ organizations.

“In our commonwealth and our country, we have set aside certain benefits, resources, and job opportunities for our service members so that we can pay some small measure of the gratitude that we owe our servicemen and women and our veterans for their sacrifice on behalf of all of us,” Governor Wolf said. “The DD-214 is one such document that helps ensure our veterans receive the benefits they have earned through their selfless service.”

“A large percentage of requests we receive is for assistance in locating a veteran’s DD-214,” said Maj. Gen. (ret.) Eric Weller, deputy adjutant general of veterans’ affairs. “Our agency takes great pride in helping to track down this important paperwork, knowing that it can open doors while avoiding conflicts and delays for veterans.”

The DMVA can also assist with locating the DD-215, which is used to correct errors or make additions to a DD-214, helping to assure that veterans have accurate discharge documentation.

Weller said that the easiest way to manage military documents and avoid having to one day frantically search for them is to make sure they are filed in a safe place.

“We suggest that every service member exiting the military stop by the courthouse in their county of record to file their DD-214\215 with the veterans’ affairs office,” said Weller. “This way, veterans and their family members will always know where to find an official copy and avoid a time-consuming search in the event that the original paper version gets lost. Regardless, if a Pennsylvania veteran needs our help, the DMVA will work hard to find these precious documents for them.”

Anyone needing assistance from the DMVA to locate their DD-214\215, or other military documentation, can call 717-861-8910 or e-mail Email: RA-REQ@pa.gov.

Another way to stay in touch is for veterans, family members and people who work with veterans to sign up for the DMVA’s Veterans Registry by visiting www.register.dmva.pa.gov. Registration is available by computer or mobile device.

More information about locating military documents can be found by visiting the Pennsylvania DMVA.

SHARE Email Facebook Twitter