Wolf Administration Awards $5.6 Million in Grants to Improve Coordination of Care for Medicaid Beneficiaries

June 01, 2017

HARRISBURG, PA – Today, the Wolf Administration’s Department of Human Services (DHS) announced that it has awarded approximately $5.6 million in onboarding grants to help connect inpatient hospitals/ facilities, outpatient practices/providers, and other eligible providers to the Pennsylvania Patient & Provider Network (P3N) or Public Health Gateway.

The P3N enables electronic health information exchange (eHIE) across the state through the connection of health care providers to health information organizations (HIO), and the connection of HIOs to the P3N. The P3N resides in DHS’ eHealth Partnership Program.

“Better coordination of care is critical for all Pennsylvanians,” Governor Wolf said. “Expanding access and efficiency makes sense and these grants will help increase connections of all the right facilities and providers to the Public Health Gateway.”

“As more HIOs join the Public Health Gateway, patients will experience better coordination of their care, faster access to their clinical results, and reduced redundancy of medical tests,” said DHS Secretary Ted Dallas. “The bottom line for patients, providers, and the health care system will be improved patient safety and health care quality with less bureaucracy.”

The grant program was made available to Pennsylvania HIOs to enable the connection of inpatient hospitals/facilities, and outpatient practices/providers participating in the Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Program. The performance period for this grant ends September 30, 2017.

The onboarding grant will:

  • Help providers deliver higher quality and more efficient care, particularly through better care coordination for individuals enrolled in the Medical Assistance Program;
  • Support provider participation in private sector HIOs by offsetting connection costs;
  • Incentivize HIOs to join the P3N, a precondition for receiving funding;
  • Support rapid movement toward the participation in eHIE, and support various care reform efforts currently underway across the commonwealth; and
  • Defray up-front costs for individual providers to join an HIO, thus helping to achieve meaningful use and satisfy obligations under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.

The funding for these programs was made available through a grant from the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Under the terms of the federal grant, CMS will provide 90 percent of the onboarding grant, with the remaining 10 percent paid by DHS.

For a complete list of grant recipients, click here.

For more information on DHS’ eHealth Partnership Program, click here.

 

SHARE Email Facebook Twitter