Wolf Administration, Community Partners to Host Resource Fairs for Evacuees from Puerto Rico
January 19, 2018
Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that his administration is holding One-Stop-Shop: Traveling Resource and Information Fairs for individuals and families who have fled the devastation in Puerto Rico caused by Hurricane Maria in September 2017.
“Compassion is in the fabric of our state and assisting our fellow Americans is a Pennsylvania tradition,” said Governor Wolf. “More than 500,000 people of Puerto Rican descent call Pennsylvania home and when emergency strikes, families unite in solidarity and support. After the devastation from Hurricane Maria, our state has responded to one of the greatest humanitarian crises in the history of the island.
“We will continue providing our support to those there and to those arriving in our state. I thank countless public and private entities lending a hand to those in need.”
The Pennsylvania Department of State, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) and Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino Affairs (GACLA), along with other state agencies, are partnering with local and county governments, community and faith-based organizations, businesses and employers to bring information to cities where the highest concentration of evacuees are settling.
The Traveling Resource and Information Fairs are scheduled for (2 PM– 5 PM):
- Monday, January 22 – HARRISBURG – Latino-Hispanic American Community Center, 1301 Derry Street, 717-232-8302
- Tuesday, January 23 – BETHLEHEM – Community Action Committee of the Lehigh Valley Community Room, 1337 E. 5th Street, 484-223-4743
- Wednesday, January 24 – ALLENTOWN – Casa Guadalupe Center, 218 N. 2nd Street, 484-223-4743
- Monday, January 29 – LANCASTER – San Juan Bautista Church Cafeteria, 425 S. Duke Street, 717-392-4118
- Tuesday, January 30 – LEBANON – Lebanon Campus of Harrisburg Area Community College, 725 Cumberland Street, 717-270-4222
- Wednesday, January 31 – READING – Centro Hispano Daniel Torres, 501 Washington Street, 610-685-1266
Additional fairs will be scheduled in Philadelphia and York.
Agencies and organizations will provide information on employment opportunities, immunizations, voter registration, professional licensing, health screenings, disaster relief, housing, education (primary, secondary, and higher education), birth certificates (from Puerto Rico), banking, food and clothing, driver’s licenses, among other local integration resources and information.
For more information, contact the Pennsylvania Department of State at (717) 787-6458.