September Jobs That Pay Update: STEM Education, New Jobs, Workforce Development
September 14, 2018
During the last month, critical investments made by Governor Tom Wolf continued to stimulate Pennsylvania’s economic growth and elevate our national rank in STEM and computer science education. In addition, the governor announced numerous projects anticipated to create more than 1,500 new jobs across the Keystone State.
Leading in STEM Education
Once again, Pennsylvania was recognized as a national leader for investments in STEM and computer science education, according to the Education Commission of the States. This month, Governor Wolf continued to make targeted investments to enhance STEM education by announcing funding for the expansion of Villa Joseph Marie High School to foster a learning environment for STEM education for girls.
In addition, the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation this month partnered with the State System of Higher Education and other universities to launch a new fellowship program that will help train more excellent STEM teachers for our schools. This program will be a vital growth opportunity for teachers, students, and all of Pennsylvania.
Stimulating Redevelopment and Job Creation
This month, Governor Wolf announced more than $11 million in funding for infrastructure redevelopment and job creation projects throughout the commonwealth, including the removal of blight in communities and the construction of a business park that will create more than 1,300 jobs.
Governor Wolf also announced that PennDOT improved more than 1,800 miles of roads between January and the beginning of August through his accelerated road improvement initiative, Resurface PA.
Expanding Workforce Development
Building on his PAsmart initiative, Governor Wolf announced more than $5 million in funding for workforce development programs across Pennsylvania , including grants for schools to build partnerships with local businesses and the construction of a utility training facility in Armstrong County.
Highlights from August – September 2018
- Governor Wolf Announces Construction of New Utility Training Facility in Armstrong County
- Governor Wolf Announces Redevelopment of Former Brockway Glass Plant in Washington County
- Governor Wolf Announces the Elimination and Redevelopment of Blight in Downtown Carbondale
- Governor Wolf Announces Construction of Sheet Metal Training Facility in Berks County
- Wolf’s Investments Makes Pennsylvania a National Leader in Computer Science and STEM Education
- Governor Wolf Announces Conversion of Former Nursing Home into STEM-Education Classrooms in Bucks County
- Wolf Administration Announces Construction of Workforce Training Hub at Indiana County Technology Center
- Governor Wolf Announces Warehouse Conversion into Mixed-Use Facility with Business Incubator in Luzerne County
- Governor Wolf Announces Construction of Business Park in Berks County
- Wolf Administration Announces Blight Elimination Projects in New Kensington
- Governor Wolf Highlights Progress of Statewide ‘Resurface PA’ Initiative
- Governor Wolf Announces Expansion of Bedford County Business Park
- Wolf Administration Announces Redevelopment of Mine Project in Columbia County
- Governor Wolf Announces Renovations and Expansion of Public Works Building in Lehigh County
- Governor Wolf Increases Access to Affordable Housing in Butler County
- Governor Wolf Announces Redevelopment of IAC Brownfield Site in Carlisle Borough
- Governor Wolf Announces Improvements to Academic Facilities of Thiel College, Mercer County
- Governor Wolf Tours Energy Innovation Center with Focus on Workforce Development Initiatives
- Governor Wolf Announces Expansion of Production Capacity, Job Creation at TruFood Mfg., Inc.
- Governor Wolf Announces Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company to Expand Headquarters in Philadelphia, Creating More Than 100 New Jobs
- Governor Wolf Helps Launch New STEM Teacher Training Fellowship
- Governor Wolf Announces $2.5 Million Available for School and Business Partnerships to Expand Job Training in Pennsylvania
- Governor Wolf Celebrates Pennsylvania’s Life Science Sector at Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Harmony Biosciences’ Headquarters
Highlights from Instagram
View this post on Instagram
To grow Pennsylvania’s economy, we need to look to the future. On Tuesday I visited the Energy Innovation Center in Pittsburgh to talk about how #PAsmart is preparing Pennsylvanians for the jobs of today and tomorrow. Our workforce must evolve to remain competitive. Pennsylvanians need skills for emerging jobs, and training them helps both workers and businesses. My administration is proud to work with organizations like EIC that prioritize training for in-demand fields.
View this post on Instagram
Thanks to our @pennsylvaniadot workforce, #ResurfacePA is going strong filling potholes across the commonwealth. Yesterday in Delaware County I surveyed progress resurfacing I-95. So far this year we’ve used over 130,000 tons of materials repairing potholes on 1,800 miles of road. That’s the same weight as 3,250 tractor trailers! See a pothole? Call 1-800-FIX-ROAD to report it.